Saturday, January 26, 2013

Creation


I have been working on a gown for my daughter. I created a dressform from duct tape and poly-fil.  I expanded a pattern 8 sizes smaller than her on tracing paper.  I fitted it, folded it, redrew it....I'm marveling at the beautiful sheen of material that I purchased at a deep discount from a bin of discontinued fabrics...this will be a beautiful gown.

There is something so very organic in creating with your own ideas, your own hands.  It doesn't matter if it's dressmaking, cake decorating, drawing, painting, beading, quilting, furniture making, metal working, or even writing...

It starts as a small thought, an idea, and it grows and transforms into something that is YOURS.  It takes us back to a time of self-sufficiency and serves as a reminder of the skills and arts lost to us that our ancestors relied upon for their day to day survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment