Saturday, January 12, 2013

Smells...






Today, I spent time in a wood shop - set construction for a local high school musical.  It has been many years since I stepped inside a room like this.  The smell of saw dust  transported me back to junior high school when I built a cutting board, a checkers set, and a jewelry box.











A favorite smell is that of wet pavement when it first begins to rain...it reminds me of playing on the street in the rain as a child.








The smell of Avon's original Skin So Soft reminds me of my grandma.









The smell of C & S Market Italian roast beef reminds me of every awesome birthday meal I had until I moved to North Carolina.











The smell of GoJo reminds me of my grandpap and dad when they worked on their cars.








The smell of leather fills me with warmth and comfort.











The smell of citrus lifts my spirit.











Smells are very complex, with their attachment to memories and moods, and yet they are really so very simple.  In looking for inspiration for our small stones, we observe the world around us, paying particular attention to audible and visual stimuli, but the scents of the the world around us are often taken for granted.  Smells can conjure up some of the strongest moods and clearest memories even after decades have passed in their making.

No comments:

Post a Comment