Saturday, January 5, 2013

Family Ghosts

I gaze in fascination at this card mounted photo. As my fingers trace along the tattered edges, some are worn smooth, almost polished from age.

Two girls - one with boots, one barefoot.
Two women - one holding a baby.
Two dogs - one large, one smaller.
Two men - one with a bottle, one in his socks with a glass in hand.
Two doors - two homes.

It is between 1900 and 1910 - The hair styles and attire affirm that period.
Ringer/washer, wooden tub, wicker basket - it is "wash day" - typically Monday.
 
But that is all...

These plain looking people are my ancestors....but I can not identify them. I only know what archived records in dusty dockets tell me. These ghosts don't speak.




...and this house today looks so very ordinary.




No comments:

Post a Comment